FACTS & FIGURES
... At a Glance
Baguio City, approximately 250 kilometers north of Manila, is situated in the Province of Benguet. The area of the city is 57.5 square kilometers enclosed in perimeter of 30.6 kilometers. The developed portion of the city corresponds to a plateau that rises to an elevation of 1,400 meters. Most of it lies in the northern half of the city.
There are two great valleys found in the south and the north of the city. The more famous Guisad-Lucban Valley has an elevation that ranges from 1,300 to 1,400 meters and is centrally located towards the north. The southern valley is composed of long and narrow vales surround by low hills transected by a network of hills. Some of the more important valleys are Camp 7, Loakan, Bakakeng and Crystal Cave. These valleys are arable and rich in alluvial deposits.
The summits of the plateau offer panoramic views. The summit that face the west: Quezon Hill, Mirador Dominican Hill and The Bureau of Animal Industries S.tock Farm offers splendid view of the Locos Coastal Plain, Lingayen Gulf and the South China Sea during cloudless days.
Another famous promontory is Mines View Park which overlooks the mining town of Itogon and offers a glimpse of the Amburayan Valley. All over the city, however, are sporadically scattered steep side hills and mountains. About half the area of the City has a slope of 25 degrees or above.
The total population of Baguio City as of May 2010 is 318,676 and have growth rate of 2.81 from 1990 to 2010.
The Spaniards were able to establish order, build churches and schools, made trails and introduce coffle during their long occupation of the area.
The Americans came early in 1900 and established their government with H. Whitmarsh as the appointed Governor of Benguet and Baguio City as the capital. This was the first provincial government to be established in the Philippines and this happened a year prior to the inauguration of the civil government of the Philippines. Their best administrators and teachers were fervent boosters and promoters: Worcester, Wright Forbes, Pack Barrows, Eckman and others who together with Filipinos committed to make the place a haven.
The mines near Baguio were developed and became productive. Business in the city flourished with commercial centers put up. Recreational facilities were installed. The city was growing before the outbreak of the war.
Baguio was bombed December 8, 1941 by the Japanese and they occupied it on December 27 of the same year. However, the war changed course and on September 3, 1945, General Yamashita surrendered to the Americans at the US Ambassador's residence in Camp John Hay, after which, Baguio immediately set to the task of rehabilitation.
The July 16, 1990 earthquake devastated the entire city with its infrastructures, buildings and its populace. Four years after the great earthquake, Baguio City has recovered and is standing firm and proud for its restored heritage.
Marker of the Philippine Commission's First Session in Baguio - the site of the building where the members of the Philippine Commission met from April 22 to June 11, 1904 and officially initiated the use of Baguio as the Philippine Summer Capital.
Kennon Road and its Builder - named after Col. Lyman W. Kennon who was the final builder of the famous Benguet road, with the help of the industrious Cordillerans and foreign workers. Kennon road is the shortest and the most scenic highway linking Baguio and the lowlands. The Lion's Head can be found along the way.
Diplomat Hotel on Dominican Hill - underway to develop the historical religious landmark into a tourist resort.
Philippine Military Academy - the premier military school in the country, the West Point of the Philippines.
The Mansion - this imposing and majestic mansion has a long list of Filipino Presidents and American governor-generals.
Camp John Hay - former American military recreational facility now developed as a world class mountain resort.
Teachers Camp - famous for its facilities for sports training, trainings and live-in conventions.
Easter Weaving Room - first started as a Church School this facility has already transformed as a must-see for weaving afficionados.
Saint Louis Filigree Shop - this is a handicrafts shop specializing in silver jewelry and other filigree products.
Baguio Tourism Complex - within the complex along Gov. Pack Road are the Baguio Sunshine Park, the Regional Office of the Department of Tourism and Secretary's guest house. The Sunshine Park features flowering gardens and covered stage with ethnic designs which is often used for cultural presentation.
Baguio-Mountain Province Museum - built mainly to preserve the cultural heritage of the Cordillera.
Baguio Convention Center (BCC) - the main convention venue in the city of Baguio.
Educational Institutions - there are six colleges and universities in Baguio. These are the University of the Philippine College, University of Baguio, Saint Louis University, Baguio College Foundation (University of Cordillera), Baguio Central University and Brent International School.
SLU Museum - located in the premise of the school (SLU), it showcases the different culture heritage's of the Cordilleras and some lowland amenities.
Ifugao Woodcarvers Village - produces and sells beautiful hand-carved curio items at very low prices.
Asin Hot Spring - water resorts supplied by nature's hot and cold springs.
Mt. Sto. Tomas - for hikers, it is about 7,500 feet high and commands a majestic view of mountains, sea and valley.
Lourdes Grotto - a religious shrine housing the image of our lady of Lourdes, about 252 steps lead to this shrine where pilgrims brave the steep climb to offer sacrifices, devotions and prayers; one is also blessed with a beautiful panoramic view of the city.
Baguio Cathedral - the structure with its twin spires and one hundred steps sits on the top of a hill in the heart of the city, offering church goers and visitors a chance to get a bird's eye view of the entire commercial hub.
Bell Chuch - this cluster of temple is located on the border of Baguio City and La Trinidad Valley. Its exotic oriental achitecture, pagodas roof, ornate gateway, dragon ornaments and Buddha guarded windows gaze from atop a hill. The Bell Temple priest practices a mixture of Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Christianity.
Churches, Seminars and Convents - Baguio is an ideal location for mediation, comtemplation and spiritual renewal hence the existence of no less religious denominations that run churches, seminaries, convents and other institutions such as hospitals and schools.
MAN - MADE
Burnham Park - It is thickly wooded and is a great place to have picnics and concerts. The place is equipped with tennis and basketball courts, a football field, athletic oval and an orchidarium.
Botanical Garden - is also called the Igorot Village which features native huts typical of the Cordillera architecture. This Village within a village captures the ethnic spirit and cultural legacy of the Igorot dweller.
Mines View Park - Appropriately names for its breathtaking view of mountain ranges and Baguio's "mineral bowl where gold,silver and other ores were once quarried.
Wright Park - It is sometimes mistakenly called "ride park" by some who identify this tree park reserve for its kiddy horse rides. A long stairway leads to the "Pool of the Pines".
Baguio Country Club - this club was organized with funds which were privately contributed. They built tennis courts and cottages.
Session Road / Market - was occupied by buildings on the left side of the hill on which the church was built. The lowest portion of the road was crossed by a big stream spanned by wooden bridge. Beyond this bridge was the swampland where bull carts parked and congregated thereby starting what is now called the market.
1999 Tourism Situationer
+ Photo courtesy of the Department of Tourism
Page last updated: April 19, 2012