Pagadian, a former barrio of the town
of Labangan of the lone province of Zamboanga, became a municipality on
March 23, 1937 through Executive Order 77 of the late Presdient Manuel L.
Quezon. Its ascendancy was due to the eager initiative of then Assemblyman
Juan S. Alano.
Hon. Jose Sanson was the first appointed mayor of Pagadian. After his
brief tenure as town "Presidente", a regular election was held
with the Hon. Francisco Consolacion becoming the first elected municipal
Later, Congressman Roseller T. Lim authored R.A. 711 dividing Zamboanga
into two provinces -- the Norte and Sur -- on June 6, 1952. Pagadian
became the capital town of Zamboanga del Sur which was itself inaugurated
on September 17, 1952. Pagadian became a chartered city on June 21, 1969
through R.A. 5478.
Situated on the northeastern side of
the region, Pagadian City is the gateway to Zamboanga del Sur, the
larhgest province of Western Mindanao. It is also a point of entry to the
cities of Ozamis, Iligan and Cotabato. Its rolling terrain encompassing
both commercial and residential districts, reminiscent of the famous Crown
Colony, has earned for it the sobriquet Little Hongkong of the South.
Pagadian City has a total land area of 331.6 square kilometers with 54
Population and Languages/Dialects
Pagadian City was home to 125,182 people per the 1995 Census count.
Residents generally speak Cebuano, Subanun and Boholano. Muslims in the
province also speak the dialects of the Maguindanaos, Tausugs, and Samals.
The city is dry from January to March
and wet from April to December. It is not affected by tropical storms and