Home| Site Map| About Us| Facts & Figures| Product & Services| Glossary of Terms| Tourist Attractions| NSIC| SSRCS| RSS| RSCC|

                                  NSCB   Fact Sheet     


                NATIONAL STATISTICAL COORDINATION BOARD     19 April 2011              FS-20114-RD6-02

Did you know that ...

  Negros Occidental has sugar and more to offer?
 

Negros Occidental, the biggest in land area of the six (6) provinces of Western Visayas, is dubbed as the "sugarlandia" not only of Region 6 but the Philippines.  It has a stretch of 7,926.1 sq km or 792,607 ha (DENR, 2002) with a total population of 2,565,723 (NSO, 2000).  Of the total 531,016.99 ha of agricultural land, 36.3 percent was planted to sugar cane in 2002.  Negros Occidental is also the province with the most count of cities numbering 13 among the 79 provinces in the country.

          From 1950's up to the 80's, the socio-economic life of Negros Occidental depended heavily on the sugar industry.  In mid-80's, however, the economy was disrupted brought about by the drop of the price of sugar in the world market.  Sugar planters were forced to lay-off workers, which caused unrest among the displaced workers.  Learning from the lessons of monocropping, the Negrenses diversified to small and medium industries. 

         
          The onset of the millennium signaled the economic recovery of Negros Occidental.  In the mid-90's, price of sugar in the world market started to improve, which prompted sugar planter to revive their cane fields. This improvement in sugar prices continuously showed an upward trend until year 2000.

          In a three-year period (2000-2003), Philippine sugar production increased by 13.9 percent from 1,898,500 MT in 2002 to 2,161,525 MT in 2003.  The biggest share of 47.0 percent was produced in Negros Occidental alone and the  remaining aggregate of 53.0 percent was produced in Eastern Vises, Mindanao and Luzon areas.

         In 2003, the Philippines stock of refined sugar was  2,996,704 bags (50 kgs/bag). The bulk share of 45.8 percent was from the refineries of Negros Occidental; 25.0 percent was from refineries of Mindanao; 22.6 percent from the refineries of  Luzon; and 6.7 percent from the refineries  Eastern Visayas.  Total sugar exports in 2003 reached in 137,353 M T.

         Aside from sugar, Negros Occidental has more to offer to every stranger in the province.  Part of the diversification in the 90's was the development of tourist destinations and historical attractions.  In the region, Negros Occidental comes next to Aklan as to tourist arrivals and receipts.  In 2003, an impressive growth of Php3.2 B was realized from the level of  Php2.5 B in 2002 to PhP3.2B in 2003.  This growth can partly be attributed to the transfer of the management of Mambukal Resort to the Provincial Government.

Tourist Receipts by Province: 2002 & 2003

Province

Tourist Receipts

Growth Rates

2002

2003

Aklan

5,814,522,351.80

6,602,637,093.80

13.6

Antique

131,717,081.00

247,183,196.40

87.7

Capiz

484,641,574.20

488,777,839.20

0.9

Guimaras

2,011,695,462.00

2,148,651,792.0

6.8

Iloilo

3,819,702,852.00

3,946,732,146.00

3.3

Negros Occidental

2,529,574,223.40

3,195,016,536.60

26.3

Western Visayas

14,791,853,544.40

16,628,998,604.00

12.4

Source: Department of Tourism

Text Box: Source: Sugar Regulatory Administration
S
tock of Refined Sugar by Location of Refinery
(in 50 kg-bag), Crop Year 2002-2003

 


          Other tourist attractions in Negros Occidental vary from historical, religious and natural points of interest. There are 18 resorts including Mambukal mountain resort with seven falls and sulfuric hot spring; 34 historical & cultural attractions to include ancestral houses and century old churches; 22 natural attractions like caves, hot springs, falls, islets & the famous Mt. Kanlaon volcano, the home of variety of plant species like orchids and ferns; and 24 major festivals: Masskara in Bacolod City every October; Pasalamat in La Carlota City every 1st  Sunday of May; Kali-Kalihan in Don Salvador Benedicto  every February; Pinta Flores in San Carlos City every November; Ati-Atihan in Cadiz City every January; Sinulog in Ilog and Kabankalan every January; Sinigayan  in Sagay City every 3rd week of March, Babaylan Festival in Bago City every February 19, and many others. 

          Negros Occidental is also famous for its rich varied cuisine: the inasal nga manok or barbequed marinated chicken and the irresistible piaya.   Seafoods like crabs and talaba are also abundant.
 


 

The NSCB RD6 Office
is  at  Luna St. La Paz, Iloilo City, 5000 Philippines
Tel/Fax  No. (033)-320-0513
URL: http://www.nscb.gov.ph/ru6

Email: nscb6@yahoo.com

Updated 3 May 2011
 
For Comments/Suggestions please write the WEBMASTER