This July, the nation celebrates the Nutrition
Month with the theme: "Wastong Nutrisyon: Alamin at Gawin!".
The theme urges everyone to follow the updated
Nutritional Guidelines for Filipinos (NGF), which was developed by the
Food and Nutrition Research Institute (FNRI) of the Department of Science
and Technology (DOST).
The NGF consists of the following ten simple rules for
a correct and healthy living:
- Eat a variety of foods everyday.
- Breastfeed infants exclusively from birth to 4 to 6 months, and
then, give appropriate foods while continuing breastfeeding.
- Maintain children's normal growth through proper diet and monitor
their growth regularly.
- Consume fish, lean meat, poultry or dried beans.
- Eat more vegetables, fruits and root crops.
- Eat foods cooked in edible/cooking oil in your daily meals.
- Consume milk, milk products and other calcium-rich food such as
small fish and dark green leafy vegetables everyday.
- Use iodized salt, but avoid excessive intake of salty foods.
- Eat clean and safe foods.
- For a healthy lifestyle and good nutrition, exercise regularly, do
not smoke and avoid drinking alcoholic beverages.
The National Nutrition Council (NNC) of the Department of Agriculture
is at the forefront of the said event along with various government
agencies and non-government organizations.