Correctional Institution for Women, Most Overcrowded National Prison
Did you know thatů
1. In 2002, there were 25,002 inmates confined in the seven national prison facilities in the country? Of this number, 16,134 or 65% are in the New Bilibid Prison in Muntinlupa City (see Table 1)?
Table 1. Inmate population in Philippine national prisons, 2002
|Prison Facility||Capacity||Population||Rate of Congestion|
|New Bilibid Prison||8,700||16,134||85%|
|Correctional Institution for Women||500||951||90%|
|Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm||3,500||1,974||-|
|Davao Prison and Penal Farm||3,100||3,005||-|
|San Ramon Prison and Penal Farm||1,300||1,000||-|
|Sablayan Prison and Penal Farm||1,500||1,050||-|
|Leyte Regional Prison||1,000||888||-|
2. The Correctional Institution for Women is the smallest but the most overcrowded among the various prison facilities in the country? The 500-capacity prison has a population of 951 female inmates, or a congestion rate of 90% (computed as number of inmates / capacity of prison)?
3. There are 1,013 inmates in the death row? Twenty-seven or 3% of the death convicts are women?
4. Most inmates are in the maximum security category? Of the 25,002 inmates, 12,223 or 49% are in maximum security?
5. The top three crimes committed by inmates are: homicide (26%); murder (23%); and rape (12%)?
6. More than half of the inmates are married, most are in the age group 22-39 years old, and majority of the prisoners had some elementary education?
7. A total of 3,325 inmates were released from prison in 2002: 2,519 on parole; 627 on expiration of sentence; 173 others; and 6 on pardon?
8. Of the 87 recorded escapes, the Bureau of Corrections (BuCor) recaptured 16 fugitives, or 18% of the total escapees?
9. For breach of prison rules and regulations, 604 inmates were administratively charged, while 127 inmates faced criminal cases? The loss of Good Conduct Time Allowance (GCTA), the withholding of certain privileges, and additional years in prison are some of the penalties imposed?
10. As of December 2002, BuCor penalized 42 erring personnel who committed unlawful activities, particularly in cases involving escape of prisoners and trafficking of contrabands in all prison compounds?
11. To educate as well as help inmates earn a living while inside and upon release from prison, BuCor offers technical and practical skills training through formal and non-formal education to qualified detainees? Education rate is 25% of inmate population?
12. In CY 2002, the government’s subsidy provided for each inmate averaged to P975 per month, inclusive of gratuity and travel allowance for released prisoners at P50 and P200 each, respectively? Most goes to the food ration allocated for every prisoner at P30 per day, or about P915 per month?
But, did you also know that inmates are quite productive inside the national prisons?
13. To augment the insufficient budget for inmates’ subsistence and improve prison facilities, BuCor’s income-generating activities such as handicraft making, palay and other agricultural crops production, livestock raising, etc. earned more than P28 million pesos in CY 2002 (see Table 2).
Table 2. Production income of inmates, 2002
|Prison facility||Production income
(in thousand pesos)
|New Bilibid Prison||1,045|
|Correctional Institution for Women||301|
|Iwahig Prison and Penal Farm||6,912|
|Davao Prison and Penal Farm||1,229|
|San Ramon Prison and Penal Farm||2,679|
|Sablayan Prison and Penal Farm||5,647|
|Leyte Regional Prison||275|
14. There were 8,080 inmates deployed to work in three private entities and in various government offices. Inmates hired as banana plantation workers in TADECO received an average of P2,600 monthly compensation, while those working in prison agro-industries are given by BuCor allowances at a rate not less than P300 each per month.
Source: Bureau of Corrections’ Annual Report 2002.